Sunday, April 15, 2007

Race Ready After Late Season Killington Powder

Another snow dumping at Killington, this time April 12th, makes for an interesting choice: do I save my legs for the long awaited Battenkill-Rubaix Race, or enjoy a rare gift from Nature? Donna had me take a vacation day on Friday before the B-R race so she could work me around the house and I could take the day off before the big day. However, when we looked at the snow fall report from Killigton, things got a little more complicated. I mentioned that we could go up to the mountain for a last day of snowboarding, but she dismissed the thought as we went to bed. The seed was planted, however. The final 'fertilizer' was the mention that my the $39 Buddy Ticket was back into effect for my All East Pass until the end of the season. That one did it - the two of us could spend the day on the best snow of the season for $20 each!

We left around 9 am and we were riding the K1 Gondola at 10:30. The snow was deep DEEPer DEEPEST yet of the season! We road the Great Northern to warm up then played on Chute and Bunnybuster for awhile. Donna's legs tired as it was only her third time of the year and then I explored some of the black diamonds that had enough cover to ride on for the first time. Finally I went up to Rime and East Fall and ventured off on Ridge Run and others. The woods looked inviting, but lacking the experience, I stayed with the great soft bumps of the other trails. Next year's goal is to get comfortable riding in the glades. It was a great day and as I did the last run to meet Donna at the car at 3pm, I felt a few muscle twinges and then I remembered - bicycle race tomorrow!!

There is another BIG storm on the way for today and tommorow, so snowboard riding may not be over yet for the 06-07 season!

No comments: