Sunday, April 15, 2007

Battenkill-Rubaix Lives Up To Namesake

Our little local race, named after the Paris - Rubaix race held on the same weekend, has grown-up in its third year. With over 1000 entrants it is now the largest Pro-Am race in the Northeast and the fastest growing. With 55 miles of hills in farm country and 25% dirt as our 'pave' the course attracts all categories. The roads are the magnet pulling in all these cyclists - and these are the roads I get to ride outside my doorstep all the time!

As mentioned in previous blogs, I have been anticipating the race for some time. I had to enter in November to avoid getting shut out like last year. The first year Donna and I showed up race day and entered! Many of the categories were sold out by January now that the race is so popular. Anticipation should have meant I trained well for the race, however, the winter weather has not cooperated. By not cooperating I mean that not only has riding been difficult in the cold/wet weather, but my other Ridn has lingered later into the season. The day before the race Donna and I boarded at Killington all day.

I did get to ride some in California two weeks ago. And, last weekend I hit some of the race course hills on short but very hilly (+90 feet per mile) rides to get my legs used to the effort and to scout out the condition of the roads. The condition of the roads changed late in the week as we were hit with a good snow storm for April (hence the trip to Killington). But race day weather cooperated with no precipitation and only a 10-15 MPH wind with temperatures in the high 40's - spring-like for this year!

I was very relaxed at the start as I found my Cat 5 45+ group of 49 riders. I was not able to get into the Masters 50+ group because I did not get a Cat 4 License. But I did talk to Art G as he was staged to go off 5 minutes after me. I told him he would pass me at some point.


The group held together until we hit the first dirt climb on Bog Road. The 8% grade dropped a few and the pot holes took out some. I was in the middle of the pack when I looked down and saw my rear water bottle jump up and hit my leg as I bounced in a pot hole. I also watched helplessly as the bottle careened off to my left. No chance to stop without causing a major pile-up, so I pedaled on. I immediately knew this was going to be a problem towards the end of the race. I was already concerned that I was short of liquids with only the two bottles and no one in the feed zone to hand me one. I put that in the back of my mind and focused on the positive of having to carry less weight up Juniper Hill.

I struggled to catch back on to the lead pack as we made the turn onto Route 22 and headed into Salem. Drafting through town allowed me to get my heart rate down and to fish out a Cliff Shot for the upcoming climbs. The paved climb sorted some riders out, but I managed to stay in contact. As we hit the dirt and the severe 18% pitch of Juniper I was shocked to see riders up ahead walking their bikes up the hill! Could it be that soft? I pedaled on confident that I have climbed this hill in these conditions before. But it did take a lot out of me! I recovered on the rollers and crossed the bridge onto 313. As I did, a few trains of riders flew by me. I was upset with myself for not having the energy or anticipation to catch on. I knew we would be riding into the head wind all the way to Cambridge.

I caught onto the third group of about 7 riders that came up from behind and we got a good pace line going. After taking two turns at the lead I was recovered and wound up going off the front after the third pull. Here I was again, all alone pushing into the wind. As I got into town another rider was riding with me, number 394, and we wound up doing a two up ride all the way to Meeting House. It was fun to share pulls with him and we definitely helped each other out. With the many Categories out in staggered starts and no way to determine from the Number which category each rider was in, it was hard to tell if you were cooperating with people you were racing against or not. With the lead groups long gone, it did not matter much.

As we started up to Meeting House Art G passed me. I caught back and reminded that I told him that he would pass me. We then struggled to the top and hit the dirt. The Meeting House climb also took people off their bikes. I got over in pretty good shape, but not over extended, as I knew Becker loomed not too far in the distance. Becker was a killer, like it always is. The road was softer than usual and again people were walking. I passed Art back for good there and raced through the potholes. As I hit the small rise at the end of Becker I shifted to the small ring while I was still crossed over on the 18 in back and the chain dropped as a result. I hopped off the bike and quickly got the chain back on, but as I did, my legs seized in cramps. The water shortage was beginning to take its toll.

It is a lucky thing that I put Gatorade and water in each bottle at the start, as opposed to my usual practice of water in the front and just Gatorade in the back. Even though I was stuck with one bottle (front) it was Gatorade. I was at about 1/3 of a bottle now. The Cliff Shots were working well as I could feel a boost after chewing them. The honey - water mix was all gone too. I stood up and pumped up the Intervale rises and then flew down the descent. As we turned onto 74 I hooked up with about 5 other riders and we got a good pace line going all the way into Greenwich.

As I rode onto Route 29 I realized that I now had a tailwind. I left the group behind and stayed ahead of them all the way to the Route 49 Feed Zone. I looked longingly at the people standing there with water bottles and wanted to just grab one and take off, but I was down to about 1/4 of a bottle and heading for the last climb. When the dirt rode rose my legs shut down. Ten miles to go and it was tough. Any pressure on the legs resulted in painful cramps. I even resorted to weaving back and forth on the steeper sections. Some riders were passing me, but most were in similar predicaments. As I got to the top I explained my problem to one rider who offered me his water. But I knew it was only 5 more miles and it was all descent and flat.

I flew down Joe Bean Road and turned onto the final stretch of road. A small rise in the road that I would normally just stand and pump over required me to shift into the small ring. And once again, I dropped the chain! I got off the bike and as soon as my feet hit the road all leg muscles contracted at once. I nearly went down. However, I got it together and got the chain on. As I started slowly pedaling I noticed the Cat 4 Women's car bearing down on me with a lone breakaway rider following. About 1k back was the pack of about 6 chasers. They flew by and about a mile later I coasted across the finish line.


I finished in 3:12 while the Cat 5 45+ winner clocked in at 2:50. I finished in 19th place, but more importantly -- I finished! Art G hit the line about 2 minutes later, so while he did pass me (and had a faster time) at least I stayedout in front of him again. It was not long until I found Donna at the finish line and got refueled and rehydrated. We watched some Category sprints and I stayed and watched the Pro finish. The leader crossed the line and celebrated too soon, getting nipped at the line. Overall, another great race effort day and the first race of the season is history.

No comments: