Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Boarding Season Wrap-up

A season of Snowboarding finally comes to an end. Starting on 12/15 and ending 127 days later, this was a great year to get fully into snowboarding. Twenty days out on the slopes in all, 10 at Killington and 5 at Mt. Snow - making the All East Pass a $25 per day bargain. Three days in California/Nevada (Mt. Rose, Squaw Valley and Northstar), along with a day each at West Mountain and Bolton Valley, make up the remainder of the days of carving and gliding.

Keeping a regular activity log makes it easy to go back and look at the statistics. The 20 rides I did this year represent 54% of the total snowboarding I have done in my life. This year I did 83 hours of snowboarding, which if I did 4 runs per hour and each run was 1/2 mile, would work out to 166 miles of snow riding! I went by myself a total of 11 times, and with others the remaining 9 days.

More importantly I have gained much confidence and fulfillment from learning a new activity and improving my skill level. To be outdoors for those 83 hours through the dark, cold winter was exhilarating and just plain fun. My goals were to get more skilled at making carved turns and to be more comfortable in the bumps and steeps and that was accomplished. Spending quality time with Donna, Alix and others was another benefit. But, also learning to enjoy and not be afraid to go it solo was a benefit. In the past I would just not go if no one else wanted to go with me. Now I enjoy the solo efforts as well as going with someone else or a group.

As the snow season leaves and the woods dry out, soon the mountain bike will replace the board. For the present road biking and training for upcoming events like the Blackfly Challenge and the Whiteface Uphill Bike Race take precedence. Donna and I joined a local club ride this past Sunday - the Cambridge Valley Cycling club. We had fun on a nice flat and fast 25 mile loop in the rain. After my 70 mile ride to the Bruce Ride on Saturday, it was just what I needed to keep getting in shape.

Last night Donna convinced me against my better judgement to go swimming at the Y with her after supper. I predictably broke out in my Grant's Syndrome hives. Oh well, I will learn to listen to my better judgement someday, but I always think I can get away with it because sometimes I do.

No comments: