Friday, January 19, 2007

Inactivity Ends With Day at Killington

Finally did something yesterday. After a prolonged period of rest due to stuffed lungs (9 full days on inactivity) I took a day I had banked from working on Saturday and went up to Killington by myself on Thursday. Got in a solid four hours of ridn in frigid weather and icy/frozen hard-packed conditions. The temp at the top was 12 degrees with wind blowing 40 MPH. At the base it was 20 with much less wind. New gear I invested in this year in anticipation of ridn in this type of weather paid off well today. The Burton AK 2L Pants with Hot Chilli fleece base layer kept the legs toasty the whole day. Feet and hands got a little cool by the end, but not bad at all. Under helmet hood and turtle fur neck wrap kept the head and neck area well protected. The Campmor Shell and fleece base with three technical shirts kept the top half in great shape all day too.

I took the opportunity to explore this huge ski area. With six Mountains all accessible by the same network of lifts, I only saw about 1/2 of the available terrain. But, it was good to get the legs moving again. I found the best run of the day to be the Northridge Lift to Rime and Reason. Lower Chute was also good. Got a first look at the Skye Mountain area and I liked the trails, but on this day the frozen chop was less than ideal. As I said, I did a solid four hours and the last run was feeling like one run too many as my legs were not responding to what my brain was asking of them. I took the Great Northern route back to Ramshead and walked slowly back to the car - feeling satisfied. Listened to the "Kite Runner" on the ride home. Good Day.

No comments: